No hype about the cloud here: just a quickstart for playing with google app engine for python (GAE-P)!
- GAE-P is essentially a python application server;
- it is free for low volume sites, so you can use your google account for creating your apps;
- you can develop your app locally downloading the GAE-P .zip file and run it – it’s a .py script: when you’re done, upload your app to google using the GAE web interface;
(mis) Features of GAE-P:
0. free & scalable python hosting, tonns of libraries;
1. no RDBMS, your app must use a GoogleDB user-friendly object database;
from google.app.engine import db
user = db.User();
content = db.String()
postit1 = PostIt()
postit1.nickname = “this is my post”
This db has a SQL-like straightforward interface. Moreover you don’t have to bother on connection issues, listeners & co.
2. no session support, you can implement it by yourself or use an external library;
3. support – thru custom libs – for mail, fetchurl & image manipulation